21 smart ways to stay healthy on holiday
Indulge in the good stuff that’s actually good for you on your next break in Wellington. Here’s how to fuel up and keep active without scrimping on those holiday luxuries.
- Salute to the sun, literally, with outdoor yoga by Yoga Rhapsody at brand new rooftop bar, The Arborist.
- Walk up to the Mount Victoria Lookout to get your bearings with 360 views of city and sea.
- Head back to the city and call in for a clean eating treat at Seize, right in the heart of Wellington's Golden Mile shopping district.
- Catch the ferry to Eastbourne and do the 8km walk to Pencarrow Lighthouse marking the entrance of Wellington Harbour.
- Get your fill of goodness with a cold-pressed juice at Earnest, made daily with fresh fruit and veg.
Mount Victoria Lookout
Eastbourne - Hutt Valley
- Take a wander past rugged volcanic rock and meet seals at Red Rocks, or download the Welly Walks app and pick another city stroll.
- Feeling tired? Refuel with a cold brew coffee at one of the city’s many amazing cafés.
- Head to Wairarapa wine region and get on your bike and by hitting the Rimutaka Cycle Trail, Lonely Planet’s pick for one of the hottest travel experiences in 2015.
- Relax in the vineyard cellar door at Poppies Martinborough, with a healthy platter of local seasonal food and a glass of their acclaimed rosé.
- Give those muscles a proper recovery in an outdoor spa at Peppers Parehua or totally indulge at five-star lodge, Wharekauhau.
- Pick up a map from the i-SITE Visitor Information Centre and spend an afternoon in Wairarapa cycling the flat country roads, calling into vineyards and olive groves to sample the wares.
- Hire a paddle-board or kayak from Ferg’s and explore the city’s waterfront and lagoon.
Red Rocks Scientific Reserve
Rimutaka Cycle Trail
- Stop off at colourful Scorch-o-Rama café in Scorching Bay after a coastal walk for a well-deserved, tasty meal.
- Do as the locals do and let the water guide your run. Head from the national museum,Te Papa, around up to 10km of the city’s waterfront and scenic bays.
- Embrace the tranquil surrounds of Spring Spa as you’re pampered with a signature massage.
- Pop across the road and stock up on fresh picnic produce at gourmet grocer, Moore Wilson’s.
- Unleash your inner child at the flying foxes in Brooklyn or hike up through the Brooklyn's Central Park for spectacular views.
- Hit one of the city’s central mountain biking trails. Polhill Reserve takes you almost to the doorstep of the Garage Project headquarters where you can sample some of the region's finest craft brews.
- Wander through the native sanctuary valley of Zealandia. Wait until nightfall for a chance to spot a kiwi on one of their Night Tours.
- Go for a swim at one of Wellington’s many bays and beaches.
- Finish up with a leisurely sojourn to the Sunday markets on the waterfront and sample some of the fresh local wares.
Scorch-o-rama, Scorching Bay
Garage Project Cellar Door