The home of New Zealand’s Governor-General was used for filming the final scenes from Peter Jackson's 2009 adaptation of The Lovely Bones.
The house was built between 1908 and 1910, mostly of wood, with a floor area of about 4,200 square metres and grounds of about 12 hectares.
Government House Wellington has a self-contained apartment for the Governor-General and his/her spouse and family, and eight guest suites, as well as a ballroom, conservatory, grand staircase, flag tower, and a wing of offices.
As well as the Gatehouse at the main gate, other buildings and facilities include a tennis court and pavilion, a small swimming pool, a World War II-era bomb shelter, a squash court, and garages.
The grounds have many heritage features and several plaques mark trees planted by the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh, the Prince of Wales, the late Māori Queen, Te Arikinui Dame Te Atairangikaahu, and former Governors-General and their spouses.
It has also significance as a named Māori site known as Kaipapa and was the former site of the Mt View Lunatic Asylum, and a remnant from that era, known as "Convict's Wall" still exists.
Information on WellingtonNZ.com about products and services is provided by third parties. Information changes regularly, so you should use this information as a guide only. Please contact a product or service provider directly to confirm any details.