The Winding House, at the top of the Wellington Cable Car, was built in 1902 to house the winding gear which pulled Wellington’s first cable cars from the city centre up to Kelburn.
The building has been accorded Category 2 heritage status by the New Zealand Historic Places Trust and now houses the Wellington Cable Car Museum. Of particular historical importance is the original winding machinery on the lower floor, which has been restored to working order.
The Museum was extended in late 2005 and now displays two of the three original cable cars, restored to their former glory. It also provides information relating to the surrounding precinct, recognising its location at the upper entrance of the Wellington Botanic Garden and at a prime vantage point above the city.
Details of the Museum’s education programmes are available on the website. Bookings are required and school groups should report to the Museum Manager on arrival.
Open hours: Daily 9.30am to 5pm, closed Christmas Day.
Information on WellingtonNZ.com about products and services is provided by third parties. Information changes regularly, so you should use this information as a guide only. Please contact a product or service provider directly to confirm any details.