Wellington City Ambassadors
Each cruise season a team of passionate Wellingtonians welcome thousands of cruise passengers to the ‘coolest little cruise capital in the world’ and they are known as the Wellington City Ambassadors
This team of volunteers are positioned at key locations throughout the city to provide information, directions and a friendly welcome to Wellington. The upcoming 2020/21 season will see over 110 cruise ships visit the city and we need more ambassadors to join the team.
Do you love Wellington? Would you like to welcome the many people that visit our beautiful little capital over summer? Do you have a love for the city and all that Wellington is world famous for?
Become a Wellington City Ambassador
- To participate in the programme you must be available from October 2020 to April 2021 and able to complete a minimum of 14 shifts, approximately 2 per month within this period. The average number of shifts completed within the current WCA team is 15 over the season.
- Shifts are a maximum of 4 hours, and are based in different locations throughout the City: CentrePort, Cable Car Lane, Botanic Gardens and the shuttle bus stops which are at Northern Lambton Quay (outside the Old Government Building) and the Wellington i-SITE Visitor Information Centre. Ideally, you should be able to stand for this duration.
- You must be comfortable using a computer and the internet, to receive important updates, rosters, shift allocations and internal newsletters.
- Most importantly, have the ability to provide a warm welcome, work in a large team environment, have a can do positive attitude and good local knowledge, to ensure cruise passengers can make the most of their time in Wellington!
What we will provide you
- Rosters, sent out by email on a monthly basis.
- Uniform items will be provided and include a name badge, jacket, t-shirt and cap. You will need to provide your own black trousers, comfortable footwear that is suited to standing for up to four hours, and warm under layers on those colder Wellington days!
- A one-on-one phone interview, group interview and formal trainings to explain the purpose of your role and our expectations.
- Tourism training and resources such as visitor guides, visits to attractions/activities and access to Wellington touring information.
- Access to Yammer, an online social network that allows you to keep track of roster changes, communicate with fellow ambassadors, and stay in the know regarding important news and updates.
- Three formal functions throughout the season, to thank you for volunteering your time to the programme.
- The opportunity to volunteer for other events being hosted in Wellington city.
If this sounds like you, please email [email protected]