Apply for a WellingtonNZ Workplace Internship and gain once-in-a-lifetime work experience while studying in Wellington
Want to get valuable New Zealand workplace experience on your CV while you study in Wellington? Every year, WellingtonNZ offers several Workplace Internships to tertiary level international students, giving them the chance to learn the skills and knowledge they need to get a head start in their career.
How does the internship work?
Successful internship applicants will be based in the Education Team at WellingtonNZ. Where possible, students will be provided with a tailored work programme that takes into account their interests, skills, and knowledge, and gives them the chance to work with different teams across several projects.
The internship runs for up to 80 hours, mainly over term breaks. Exact dates and hours will be agreed once an offer is made to successful internship applicants. Hours of work are usually between 8am to 5pm on weekdays.
Interns will be paid $20 per hour gross, for a maximum of 80 hours in total.
The types of tasks that interns might be expected to complete include:Creating a market report on students from your home country or a market of interest to you.
- Advising on marketing to students based on your own experience.
- Helping to coordinate events such as the Wellington International Excellence Awards (Oct), Wellington International Student Welcome (Feb/Mar), or Work Ready in Wellington courses.
- Monitoring promotional material stock levels and assembling the necessary items required for offshore trips.
- Assisting with budget preparation and recording actual costs.
- Attending meetings as required, and contributing where appropriate.
- Any other tasks required by teams across the organisation, which may relate to your area of interest/study.
During the internship programme, interns will gain lots of valuable skills and workplace experience, including:
- General computer, and technical and organisational skills.
- Understanding of a public sector organisation.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, professional office environment.
- Experience supporting a range of events and office needs within the organisation.
- Networking and general communication skills.
- Confidence to apply for jobs and succeed in the New Zealand workplace.
What do I need to apply?
To apply for the WellingtonNZ Workplace Internship, students must:
- Be EITHER a current international student studying a level 7 or above qualification at a tertiary education institution in Wellington OR an international student who has graduated with a level 7 or above qualification from a tertiary education institution in Wellington within the last 6 months. The subject of study is not important; it is more important that students are interested in learning and gaining new skills and experience.
- Hold a visa that clearly shows their right to work in New Zealand.
- Have completed the Work Ready in Wellington Programme and attended all sessions.
- Be in their second-to-last year, or final year, of study.
- Be available for up to 80 hours, mainly over the term breaks
- Have a good level of written and spoken English.
- Ideally, students should be able to support their applicable by demonstrating volunteer experience and attendance at supplementary Work Ready in Wellington workshops.
Applicants for WellingtonNZ's Workplace Internship must be:
- Punctual and reliable.
- Organised, detail-oriented, and able to meet deadlines and cope with multiple tasks.
- Able to follow instructions and follow up with questions if further clarification/information is required.
- Competent with Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook programmes.
- Flexible and willing to help wherever it may be required.
How do I apply?
Applications for 2019 internships are now closed. Check back here soon to find out how to apply for 2020 internship opportunities.
Find out how WellingtonNZ's Workplace Internship has helped other international students kickstart their careers in Wellington.