It seems you’re using a browser that is a little past its time and our website might not be able to perform as it should.

If you’d like to have the best experience on, you can easily update your browser to get the most out of our website and many more for that matter.

dismiss this message

Search News releases

Search News releases

Demand for IT interns continues to grow

24 Nov 2015

The Summer of Tech internship programme is meeting increasing demand from businesses as New Zealand’s ICT sector strengthens.

MBIE’s ICT Sector report from May 2015 cited a 12% growth in employment in the sector, and hiring interns is proving a successful recruitment strategy, with 80% of interns being retained as employees, beyond summer.

This month the programme will place 140 New Zealand tertiary students and recent graduates into paid summer internships in 55 organisations, the highest number since the programme began.

Summer of Tech CEO Ruth McDavitt says the Auckland and Wellington ICT businesses participating in this year’s programme get extra team members and accelerate practical education which is impossible to learn in an academic environment. “We are so excited to be launching 140 IT careers this month, and applaud the organisations who are welcoming students onto their teams to add value to businesses during their summer jobs.”

Summer of Tech is a non-profit organisation that is led by industry volunteers who want to support technology education and work experience, to build the future talent pipeline for the New Zealand tech sector.

Since March this year, volunteers have contributed over 1,000 hours to support skills development and help students build a portfolio of work that demonstrates their ability to add value to local businesses. Recruitment events in Auckland and Wellington in September were followed by over 700 “speed interviews”, where employers and students got to know each other in quick-fire, 10 minute job interviews.

Ms McDavitt reports very positive feedback from employers this year. “Employers were very impressed with the professionalism as well as the technical skills of students during recruitment. We are grateful to all the volunteers from the IT industry who have given time during the year to help prepare students for employment”.

There was no shortage of talent available, over 800 students throughout New Zealand completed their online profiles and expressed interest in the paid summer jobs. 80% of the roles were web, mobile or software development, with the remaining 20% including digital design, business analysis, engineering, software testing, and marketing.

Diversity in roles was matched by diversity in interns. Employers are pro-actively seeking a range of skills and perspectives to build their future tech team. “Summer of Tech has a strong record of supporting women into technical careers, over one third of interns this year are female, while the industry average is 20%” says Ms McDavitt.

For photos or interviews with participating students and organisations contact Ruth McDavitt, CEO, Summer of Tech, ph 021 209 6235

About Summer of Tech

Established in 2006, Summer of Tech (SoT) is an ICT industry led programme that helps New Zealand high tech businesses find and grow top talent from local tertiary institutions.

The programme makes it easier for employers to find and develop talent, and grow their teams with fresh energy and perspectives. During winter, their evening bootcamp programme provides a bridge between study and work, with industry experts delivering workshops on technical and professional topics.

During summer, the top students are hired for paid summer internships, where the training and mentoring continues, and students get a kick-start to their ICT career. Employers include high growth ICT companies, startups, SMEs, corporates and government departments. Interns are paid at least $20/hour, and roles include software development, digital design, analysis, software engineering, control systems and project management.

SoT is wholly owned by the New Zealand Technology Training Trust, a registered New Zealand charity. It is volunteer-driven, with education and industry connection the primary goal. SoT is industry-led, independent, and works because the employers are calling the shots, they are deeply involved in setting out priorities for technical and soft skills preparation for the next generation of talent.

Grow Wellington was a foundation sponsor for Summer of Tech and continues to support this important initiative developing the workforce for the Wellington region’s technology sector.

See how Summer of Tech works here:

Read about 2015 intern roles here:

  • Close
  • Show nearby