It seems you’re using a browser that is a little past its time and our website might not be able to perform as it should.
If you’d like to have the best experience on WellingtonNZ.com, you can easily update your browser to get the most out of our website and many more for that matter.dismiss this message
7 Jun 2014
The capital’s pulling a few strings to create once in a life time Wicked Wellington Adventures.
Six winners will experience Wellington like never before during money-can’t-buy adventures.
Have you ever choppered in to the top of a massive peak to mountain bike down, had a department store to yourself to shop like a VIP or conducted a top orchestra to play however you like?
Those are just some of six wicked adventures the crew at Positively Wellington Tourism (PWT) has created for the new Wicked Wellington Adventures competition that’s just launched.
PWT has called on some of the coolest folk, tastiest places and most extraordinary events in Wellington to create prizes that showcase the diversity of the capital and give winners an unforgettable taste of what the city has on offer.
Positively Wellington Chief Executive, David Perks, says the diverse and out of the ordinary adventures show no matter what people are into the capital has something wicked to suit them.
“We want to people the chance to have an unforgettable experience in Wellington, whether they’re into music, brewing beer, mountain biking, sport or fine dining,” he says.
The six Wicked Wellington Adventures awaiting winners are:
• Legend of the Brew: Become a brewer for a day with help from the talented guys at Garage Project. You’ll also craft a custom beer label and join the Beervana judging panel as a special guest.
• Mountain Bike Madness: Get choppered to the top of Makara Peak. Ride down with a professional photographer snapping you like a pro and a Bike Wellington expert giving you a private lesson.
• Captain of the first XI: Meet the legends of football. Get photos and autographs pitch side at the final training session of one of the visiting teams ahead of the Football United Tour. You’ll also win a double pass to see two English Premier League teams in action from the premium gold section of the Westpac Stadium.
• The Musical Maestro: Take control of the baton conducting Orchestra Wellington to play exactly how you please during the dress rehearsal for its upcoming concert. Then, after a pre-show feast, you'll have the once-in-a-lifetime experience of sitting on stage as the orchestra performs Rimsky-Korsakov’s ‘Golden Cockerel’.
• Royal of the Store: Be treated like a royalty with exclusive after-hours access to Kirkcaldie & Stain's department store. The iconic store will roll out the red carpet and get the champagne flowing while you spend $2,500 on us with the help of a personal shopper.
• The Culinary Capital’s VIP: You and a guest will fine dine in style at Wellington's award-winning restaurant Logan Brown. Have your meal personally served to you by head chef, Shaun Clouston, before he takes you on a behind-the-scenes tour of his award-winning kitchen. You’ll also be special guests at Havana Bar for pre-dinner drinks and head off to post-dinner drinks at Matterhorn.
Those who’ve let PWT pull the strings to create the prizes have also offered up their expertise to help add the wicked to the adventure.
Logan Brown Co-founder, Steve Logan, says the winner of The Culinary Capital’s VIP is in for a very special course in courses.
“Seeing the inner workings of a top commercial kitchen and then being served by the executive chef, Shaun Clouston, with all his mighty knowledge and whacky humour, the winner is sure to have an unforgettable experience,” he says.
And Orchestra Wellington’s manager, Adán E Tijerina, says to his knowledge very few orchestras in the world have ever allowed audience members to sit on stage amongst the players during a performance.
“This will undoubtedly be overwhelming for the winner as it’s a compelling experience to fell the musical power of 74 players around you. The sounds and energy will envelop and transport them to the Russian fairy tale land of the thrice-tenth kingdom,” he says.
To explore the adventures check out the website WellingtonNZ.com/Wicked-Adventures and sign up to our eNews to be in to win an adventure of the wicked Wellington kind.
The winner of the first adventure will be drawn 12pm on Thursday 3 July, the Musical Maestro at 3pm on Thursday 10 July, the Culinary Capital's VIP on Thursday 17 July and Royal of the Store, Legend of the Brew and Mountain Bike Madness on Friday 25 July, so enter quick!
Positively Wellington Tourism Communications Executive
M: +64 22 219 5902
Notes for editors:
• PWT is the regional tourism organisation for Wellington. It is a council-controlled organisation primarily funded by Wellington City Council through the Downtown Levy, a targeted rate paid by commercial ratepayers in downtown Wellington.
• Visitors spend over $3,166 in the Wellington region per minute – over $1.6 billion every year. (Source: Ministry of Business, Innovation & Employment, Regional Tourism Estimates).
• Over four million visits are made to Wellington every year: 750,000 international and over 3.4 million domestic. (Source: Ministry of Economic Development Regional Tourism Data)
• In the year to March 2013, domestic visitors spent 1.39 million commercial guest nights in Wellington city. (Source: Commercial Accommodation Monitor)