We've been crunching the numbers at the end of the financial year. Here's some of the coolest data we've uncovered.
- In April the Wellington region hit 2.5 million guest nights in a 12-month period for the first time on record.
- That's nearly two hundred thousand more guest nights a year than five years ago
- The fastest-growing month in that time is August (the month of Visa Wellington On a Plate) which last year saw 37,000 more guest nights than August 2010.
- Our average length of stay has risen by 11% in the last 5 years to 2.18 days. Wellington now enjoys one of the highest average length of stay figures in the country, surpassed only by Queenstown/Central Otago and summer holiday destinations Nelson and Hawkes Bay.
- Around one in five of New Zealand's international visitors spend time in Wellington.
- Collectively those international visitors spend around one million dollars a day in Wellington.
- More than 200,000 Australians spent at least one night in Wellington last year, up 14% on the year before.
- Australian arrivals into Wellington Airport were up by 1.4% to 141,904 in the year to May.
- 77 cruise ships visited Wellington in the 2014/15 season, delivering around 150,000 passengers and crew.
- That's some three million tonnes of ship...and about 12,000 tonnes of humanity!
That's some three million tonnes of ship... and about 12,000 tonnes of humanity!