Taking on students & graduates
Workplace pathways connects Wellington businesses with the best and brightest coming out of our education institutes.
Wellington is full of smart and talented people. With the most highly educated workforce in New Zealand, and thousands more potential smart employees graduating from tertiary institutes around the country each year, there are plenty of opportunities for your business to find fresh talent.
Taking on a student or graduate offers a multitude of benefits, including:
- builds your reputation as a graduate-friendly employer, which will bring talent to you
- is a way for you to offer work experience when you may not be able to make a permanent hire
- provides an opportunity for your current staff to mentor, train and develop new talent
- gives you access to fresh perspectives, news ideas and modern academic theory
- improves connections with tertiary organisations
- is a great way to invest in the next generation.
There are a number of programmes and tertiary connections available to help you create workforce pathways and talent pipelines into your company.
A how to guide for employers
If you are thinking about taking on a student or an intern for the first time, Intern Quest is a useful 'how to guide'. As well as a step by step process, it includes helpful advice, tips, downloadable forms and employer stories.
There are some instances where funding to take on students is available, if specific criteria is met.
Victoria University Summer Research scholarships
A limited number of scholarships are available annually for students. Businesses may apply to Victoria University with a research-based project to be taken up by a current student. The scholarships are jointly funded by the business and the university.
Callaghan Innovation R&D internships
These grants are designed to support both students and New Zealand businesses carrying out Research & Development.