Assess your funding eligibility
Find out if you’re ready to access research & development funding through Callaghan Innovation.
Ready to take your business to the next level with a Callaghan Innovation research and development (R&D) grant? Use our handy guide below to determine if you’re able to apply.
Does your project or initiative meet the definition of R&D?
The first step to applying for funding through Callaghan Innovation is to ensure your R&D project or initiative meets the definition of 'research and development'.
Research is the process of working to gain new scientific or technical knowledge and understanding.
Development is the application of research findings (and other knowledge) to develop a new product/service.
If it does, then the next step is to determine how well your company and R&D project fits with Callaghan's specific funding criteria.
Does your project meet Callaghan Innovation funding criteria?
When applying to Callaghan Innovation for funding, you will need to provide information and evidence relating to the five key areas below. Callaghan will use this information to judge how well your company and R&D project fits their funding criteria.
A clear statement that shows your business is meeting a genuine need or "pain" in the market
- An explanation of your customers' problem
- How the new product/service will solve that problem
- A definition of who your customers are, based on validated feedback rather than assumptions
Evidence that your potential financial returns make the opportunity commercially viable
- The size of your target market
- How you'll make money from the product
Information showing that you've figured out how to get your product to market
- What sales channels you’ll be using
- The details of any channel partners and/or customers that are involved or already contracted
A detailed R&D project description
- Details of the scope of work you want funding for
- An estimate of how much it will cost to complete your project
Discussion of the resources you need for your project to be successful
- What benefit people or tools will bring to the project
- How you'll be funding the project.
If you believe your project fits these criteria, or you need support to fill in some gaps, talk to Business Growth Wellington for help progressing your application.Contact Business Support