Tourism business support
A range of support is available for local tourism businesses in the Wellington region
Unite Against COVID-19 - This is the official Government source for COVID-19 information.
Information for businesses - The Government’s central resource for COVID-19 business information contains updates about COVID-19 and guidance to help businesses.
Industry-specific advice and support - Tourism Industry Aotearoa (TIA) has a range of industry-specific advice, including operating guidelines for accommodation, transport and activity operators.
Digital Boost Programme - The Government has released this digital boost programme to help businesses develop their digital skills.
Wellington i-SITE Visitor Information Centre
Our i-SITE Visitor Information Centre on Wakefield Street is a first stop for international and domestic visitors to Wellington. The i-SITE helps with all kinds of information and booking support throughout Wellington and New Zealand. If you operate a tourism business, make sure you pop in to say hello and introduce yourself to the team.
If you would like to arrange a product update or product training with the i-SITE team, please contact us.
Please note: Pay and Display contracts and other paid advertising opportunities are currently on hold as we navigate through the current environment. Information will be added here once these advertising opportunities resume.
Visitor Guides and Downtown Map
WellingtonNZ produces an annual Visitor Guide and Downtown Map for visitors to Wellington. The visitor guides are available for free for businesses to give to their guests. Downtown Map pads are available for businesses to purchase. If you would like to order visitor guides or buy map pads, please get in touch.
Tourism insights to help your business
There are a range of tools that will enable you to get the insights to help your business succeed.
- DGiT - The Domestic Growth Insight Tool (DGiT) is an online tool to help boost the value you get from domestic tourism by identifying which Kiwi leisure travellers to target.
- Figure.NZ Tourism Hub - This is a user-friendly free resource. You can search data by sector and location, and it brings up a range of data that may fit the scope of your search.
Ministry of Business Innovation and Employment (MBIE) data
- Monthly Regional Tourism Estimates (MRTE) – This provides an estimate of regional monthly expenditure on tourism from both international and domestic consumers.
- International Visitor Survey (IVS) - This survey measures the expenditure, characteristics and behaviours of international visitors to New Zealand.
- Accommodation Data Programme (ADP) - This provides information about short-term accommodation activity at national, regional and lower levels. It estimates the guest nights, occupancy rates and other measures relating to the accommodation industry.
Tourism New Zealand
Tourism New Zealand is responsible for marketing New Zealand as a great destination for visitors. There are many ways businesses can leverage their marketing opportunities:
- Website listing - Promote your business at no cost by listing it on Tourism New Zealand's website, viewed by more than 100,000 domestic visitors per week.
- Market research - Tourism New Zealand conducts a range of research projects across target visitor markets to gain greater understanding of the markets, and the thinking and behaviour of potential travellers.
To develop your business long-term, it is vital to think about sustainability and how your business can help contribute to a sustainable tourism industry.
- Tiaki Promise - The Tiaki Promise is a commitment to care for New Zealand while travelling, and has a set of guiding principles for visitors to follow, showing them how to contribute to preserving and protecting our land.
- Tourism Sustainability Commitment - The New Zealand Tourism Sustainability Commitment establishes 12 business commitments that individual businesses can achieve. These commitments have been developed by industry for the industry.
- Zero Carbon Capital – Wellington city has a goal of being the first carbon-neutral capital city. Find out how your business can be part of this.