Something for everyone: your Wellington Christmas gift guide
This handy guide is chock full of local gift ideas for those hard-to-buy-for people in your life
Gift giving may be your love language but some people are just so hard to buy for! Never fear, this locally-sourced gift guide is a cheat sheet to help you find the perfect present.
Whether it's the dad who seems more excited by his kid's presents, the colleague you got for Secret Santa, the zoomer, the cool mum, or that effortlessly trendy friend who already owns everything worth having – we’ve got you covered.
She’s not a regular mum, she’s a cool mum! And she deserves to be treated.
1. Pink crochet angel decoration, $12, Abstract Design
2. Elk Naema mint/rose sunglasses, $199, Wanda Harland
3. GOOD&CO Hilma af Klint Childhood No. 2 silk chiffon scarf, $179, available from 4 December at City Gallery Wellington Shop
4. Leafy Greens cotton tea towel, $10, Moore Wilson’s
5. Cleopatra by Rita Angus, A3 print, $195 (unframed), available in-store at the Te Papa Store
6. Gingham Jute shopper, $40, the Axe
7. George & Edi perfumed Havana candle, $39.50, Small Acorns
Plugged in, stylish, and a little bit different, this Wellingtonian-in-the-know is smart, cultured, knows everyone, and has everything… or do they?
1. Hilma af Klint: The Secret Paintings, hardcover book, $55, City Gallery Wellington Shop
2. Abel Odor 100% natural perfume, 15ml, $110, Cranfields
3. Classic lided jewellery stacker, $89, Bello
4. Cavallini & Co Celestial vintage puzzle, 1000 pieces, $55, Space Place
5. Galit Maxwell ceramic Joy Bowl, $38, Museums Wellington Store
6. Apostle holiday gift box, $40, Apostle Hot Sauce
7. Hibiscus & blackberry Palliser dark chocolate bar, 75g, $12.50, Wellington Chocolate Factory
Oh no, you don’t know anything about the person you got for Secret Santa? Here are a bunch of cool gifts under 30 bucks.
1. Green koru and white paisley large flat pack tree, $28 each, Abstract Design
2. Choc berry everything butter, 275g, $7, Fix & Fogg
3. Ashley & Co Soothe & ZAP sanitiser, 50ml, $24.99, Small Acorns
4. Lily Bee beeswax food wraps, 3 pack, $26.95, Moore Wilson’s
5. Adult Christmas face mask, various fabrics, $25, Made It
6. David Shrigley “Be Nice” magnet, $12.90, Wanda Harland
7. Flox 2022 mini calendar, $22.90, iko iko
Environmentally conscious and socially minded, the young Jen Zee wants to know where their presents came from and who made them.
1. Rangikura by Tayi Tibble (VUP), $25, Good Books
2. Sphaera NZ natural soap, $27, Cranfields
3. Ilford Sprite 35-II Reusable Camera, $69.95, Splendid Photo
4. Blue "Single-use planet" tote bag, $79, Kowtow
5. Gingerbread cookie jar mix, $15, GoodFor
6. Strange World stainless steel drink bottle, $49, the Vault
7. Decomposition notebook, $19, the Axe
Every Christmas you'll find him playing with the kids’ presents. He's young at heart and loves having fun, but is just as happy chilling out with a coffee and a good book.
1. Holiday Blend, 250g whole beans, $13.50, Coffee Supreme
2. Prize Catch by Glenn Jones, A4 print, $49, Made It
3. Sun Wind Sea serum, 20ml, $29, Wellington Apothecary
4. The Commercial Hotel by John Summers (VUP), $30, Good Books
5. EcoSplat reusable water balloons, $28, the White Room Gallery
6. Jules men’s boxer briefs, $49, Nisa
7. Digger, A5 kitset model, $20, Museums Wellington Store