It seems you’re using a browser that is a little past its time and our website might not be able to perform as it should.
If you’d like to have the best experience on WellingtonNZ.com, you can easily update your browser to get the most out of our website and many more for that matter.dismiss this message
Looking for an excuse to plan your next break in Wellington? There are a myriad to choose from and, lucky for you, we've prepared a handful...
1. Hire an e-bike from Switched On Bikes and cruise around the city in style – without breaking a sweat.
2. Cool down with delicious gelato from Gelissimo, right on Oriental Bay.
3. Relax in the Wellington Botanic Gardens with a picnic and vino at Gardens Magic (9-28 Jan).
4. Tuck into a fish ‘n chip picnic from Mt Vic Chippery on the beach.
5. Stroll the waterfront and find the hidden Wellington Writers Walk sculptures, immortalising words from Wellington poets and writers in stone.
6. Check out the buskers and street food at Wellington Night Market, every Friday and Saturday night.
7. Get your hands on some of those magical little bricks at Let's Go Build: A festival for LEGO lovers.
9. Eat your way around Hannahs Laneway – this cosy culinary quarter hosts peanut butter, soda, chocolate and pizza producers, plus some of Welly’s finest eateries and bars.
10. Relax on the beanbags with a refreshing bevvy in the sun on the lawn outside St John bar and restaurant.
11. Spruce up the summer wardrobe at David Jones, or explore Cuba Street’s quirky boutiques.
12. Grab a few cold ones from daring brewery Garage Project’s taproom at 91 Aro Street.
13. Explore the fascinating Māori history of Te Whanganui-a-Tara with Te Wharewaka o Pōneke’s walking tours.
14. Get your walking shoes on and check out Wellington’s 363km of walking and mountain biking tracks.
15. Experience the sights, sounds and flavours of the wider Pacific right here in Wellington at Pasifika Festival (20 Jan).
16. Head over the hill, hire a bike and explore the charming vineyards of the Wairarapa on two wheels.
17. Pack the picnic blanket and hike to the top of Mount Victoria for some astounding views of Wellington.
18. Hand-feed a giraffe, play with a mob of meerkats or stroke a red panda, lemur or cheetah at Wellington Zoo.
19. Enjoy local food, wine and live music at Wellington Wine & Food & Craft Beer Festival (27 Jan).