It seems you’re using a browser that is a little past its time and our website might not be able to perform as it should.
If you’d like to have the best experience on WellingtonNZ.com, you can easily update your browser to get the most out of our website and many more for that matter.'
There's heaps of cool things to see, do and eat in Wellington that won't break the bank. Here's 20 things you can do for under $20.
1. Play ‘spot the tuatara’, watch cheeky kaka swarm for food at snack time, and see weta hanging out in their tree hotel at the epic Zealandia eco-sanctuary (adults $18.50)
2. Take a ride on the iconic Wellington Cable Car and enjoy stunning views over the city from the lookout ($9 adult return)
3. Journey through our WW1 history at Gallipoli: The scale of our war at Te Papa (free) - brought to life by movie-making maestros, Sir Richard Taylor and Sir Peter Jackson.
4. Pedal around Wellington’s scenic waterfront on a quirky Crocodile Bike. Hire a two seater for 30 minutes of cruising for $16.50, or grab a few mates and get a four seater ($44 for 1 hour – with four people that's just $11 each!)
5. Everything on the Ekim Burgers menu is affordable and delicious. You'd come under budget here, so go ahead and chuck some chips in too. Choice! ($8-$15)
6. Tommy Millions do pizza by the slice at around $5 a pop. The rotating weekly specials are always great.
7. Discover Wellington’s secrets, stories and treasures at Wellington Museum on the waterfront (free)
8. Get your culture fix at City Gallery, home to an ever-changing collection of contemporary art from Aotearoa and abroad.
9. Pop by peanut butter artisans Fix & Fogg and sample their incredibly tasty spread, or take away some gourmet toast.
10. Gaze into the skies above Wellington and learn all about astronomy at Space Place ($12.50)
11. Get the inside word on New Zealand's system of government and learn all about the busy bees that work inside the Beehive, on a guided tour of Parliament Buildings (free)
12. For a quick bite to eat that'll have all your fellow lunch mates absolutely envious, try Mt Vic Chippery's Express Lunch. Crumbed fish, crinkle cut chips and slaw. Yum! ($10)
13. Warm up over the winter months with a decadent and delicious Italian hot chocolate from Scopa on Cuba Street ($6 for a large)
14. Hang out with wizards and trolls on a visit to Weta Cave, Wellington’s home of movie-making magic (entry to the Cave is free, while a tour of Weta Workshop costs $25)
15. Grab a hot waffle loaded up with fresh cream, white chocolate drizzle, fruit and vanilla ganache from The Little Waffle Shop ($7 each, $5 on Wednesdays)
16. Cosy up on a two-seater couch and enjoy a movie at the boutique Light House Cinema, Cuba ($17.50 per person)
17. Chow's cocktails are insanely good, we particularly like the Rosebud. Plus, each come in at under $20 a pop ($13-$18)
18. Slurp on a tasty milkshake with friends at Five Boroughs. Flavours include Jelly tip, Bounty and Triple chocolate ($7.50)
19. Every day from 2-5pm at Burger Liquor get a Standard burger, crinkle cut fries and a cold tap bevvy or bootleggers soda as part of the Standard Deal ($15)
20. Hop up to the Garage Project Taproom and try of some of Wellington's finest craft beer, with 18 taps of the good stuff (price varies with each beer and size!).