Since ingesting a giant (but delicious) pork knuckle at München recently, my food radar has been going off at every sweet place I pass.
Here’s three that left an impression, and highlights from conversations with the owners:
- Owner – Grace Kreft.
- Location - In the Marsden Shops, Karori. Monday to Saturday daytimes.
- Goal – To make Wellingtonian’s lives a little sweeter.
- Focus – Sweet baking for fun, with oreos, kit kats, snickers, mars bars and more. Made fresh daily with ever-changing flavours, many decided on the spur of the moment during the morning bake!
- Uses - Local Whittakers chocolate, Wooden Spoon ice cream (milkshakes), and NZ specialty ingredients like FreshAs freeze dried raspberries.
- Most unusual ingredient – Nothing unusual but loves raspberries, so look out for them.
- Favourite product – Caramel macadamia slice. I can see why. This literally melted in the mouth, both base and topping alike.
- Most decadent – Layer cake. A spectactular sight as you’ll see below. Also donut Fridays - apparently one customer comes all the way from the Hutt every week (must be good!).
- Additional services – Specialty cakes and baked goods for corporate, kids parties, weddings, valentines. You name it.
- Community – Providing a little bit of whismy to the lives of Karorians and now the rest of us, since the secret’s out.
- Training and influences – On the job at Crumbs and Doilies in London, a job landed from hobby experience and pure natural talent (that last bit being my interpretation as Grace is far too humble to claim that herself).
- Would enjoy dinner with – Richard Branson.
- Watch this space for – Possibly more Sweets around Wellington, and recipes and support for people wanting to enjoy baking fun at home.
Boy, aren’t we blessed with local talent? Wonderful, wonderful people doing wonderful things. And mostly self-trained.
Love to hear of others around we should get chatting to…