Must-dos for Groups and FIT Travellers
There is plenty to see and do in Wellington for both Groups and FITs. During the summer months, it’s a good idea to book in advance due to higher demand
Activities for Group Travellers
- A Wellington City Highlights tour often includes a drive around the bays and up to the Mount Victoria Lookout, riding the Wellington Cable Car up to the Wellington Botanic Garden and stops at other major attractions.
- Wētā Workshop Tours and Wētā Cave offers a dedicated Group Tour space, bookable in advance. Special group experiences including hands-on and creative demonstrations can be arranged.
- Take a guided walk at Zealandia Te Māra a Tāne, then stop by Rata Café at the sanctuary which offers a lovely group dining option overlooking the valley and lake.
- Learn to paddle a waka (Māori canoe) with Te Wharewaka o Pōneke on the safe and shallow waterfront lagoon. Pair with lunch at Karaka Café or hangi lunch. Please note this activity is currently in hibernation.
- Te Papa Tongarewa Museum of New Zealand is often included at the end of a city tour and guests are left to explore at their leisure. We highly recommend a short, guided experience to start.
- Coaches travelling to Wellington via the Classic New Zealand Wine Trail from Napier to Wellington should stop at Pūkaha National Wildlife Centre to explore the forest, meet native birds, and learn more about tangata whenua.
Activities for FIT Travellers
- Book in advance for Wētā Workshop’s There and Back Again: The Full Experience tour, which includes transfers from the Wellington i-SITE.
- See Wellington’s highlights with Wellington Rover Tours or Hammonds Sightsee Wellington Tours (headset translations available in Chinese, Japanese, Spanish and English). Hammonds regular daily tours are are currently in hibernation but they are operating private tours on request.
- Take a day tour to Wairarapa to explore the wine-making village of Martinborough and browse Greytown's boutique shops.
- Try to spot a kiwi, New Zealand’s most famous native bird, on a night tour of Zealandia ecosanctuary.
- Taste the best of New Zealand’s culinary capital on a Zest Food Tour where you'll meet local food producers and sample their world-class food and drink. Please note this activity is currently in hibernation.
- Ride the historical Wellington Cable Car up to see views over the city and stroll back down to the city through the Wellington Botanic Garden via the Parliament buildings.