Must-dos for Groups and FIT Travellers
There is plenty to see and do in Wellington for both Groups and FITs. During the summer months, it’s a good idea to book in advance due to higher demand
Activities for Group Travellers
- A Wellington City Highlights tour often includes a drive around the bays and up to the Mount Victoria Lookout, riding the Wellington Cable Car up to the Wellington Botanic Garden and stops at other major attractions.
- Wētā Workshop Tours and Wētā Cave offers a dedicated Group Tour space, bookable in advance. Special group experiences including hands-on and creative demonstrations can be arranged.
- Take a guided walk at Zealandia Te Māra a Tāne, then stop by Rata Café at the sanctuary which offers a lovely group dining option overlooking the valley and lake.
- Learn to paddle a waka (Māori canoe) with Te Wharewaka o Pōneke on the safe and shallow waterfront lagoon. Pair with lunch at Karaka Café or hangi lunch. Please note this activity is currently in hibernation.
- Te Papa Tongarewa Museum of New Zealand is often included at the end of a city tour and guests are left to explore at their leisure. We highly recommend a short, guided experience to start.
- Coaches travelling to Wellington via the Classic New Zealand Wine Trail from Napier to Wellington should stop at Pūkaha National Wildlife Centre to explore the forest, meet native birds, and learn more about tangata whenua.
Activities for FIT Travellers
- Book in advance for the Wētā Workshop Experience, with optional guided transfers available from the Wellington i-SITE.
- Discover Wellington through a Wellington sightseeing tour with Hammonds Sightsee Wellington Tours, Kaewa Tours, Xplor Tours, Zozo Travel or Capital Personalised Tours.
- Take a day tour to the Wairarapa region - discover the wine-making village of Martinborough, browse Greytown's boutique shops or explore the rugged coast at Cape Palliser.
- Try spotting a kiwi, takahē or tuatara, some of New Zealand's most famous native species, at Zealandia Te Māra a Tāne. You can discover this ecosanctuary through a day, twilight or night tour.
- Taste the best of New Zealand’s culinary capital on one of Wellington's foodie tours with NZ Fine Art Tours and Kaewa Tours. Or taste your way around Wellington's craft beer scene with NZ Craft Beer Tours.
- Ride the historical Wellington Cable Car up to see views over the city and stroll back down to the city through the Wellington Botanic Garden via the Parliament buildings.
- Explore the beauty of Wellington on two wheels with Switched on Bikes. Join one of their guided E-bike tours around the Wellington Harbour or freedom rental to explore independently.