It seems you’re using a browser that is a little past its time and our website might not be able to perform as it should.

If you’d like to have the best experience on, you can easily update your browser to get the most out of our website and many more for that matter.

dismiss this message


Visas to work in New Zealand are readily available and with different options to suit your needs. If you're an Australian citizen, you don't need to worry about getting a visa, just come on over!

Work to residence visas

Trade Me Office Wellington

There are two main types of work to residence visas that you can apply for:

Work to Residence: Long term skill shortage
The long term skilled shortage visa is available if you have a permanent or long-term job offer in an occupation on the long term skill shortage list and your qualifications and experience match.

Work to Residence: Accredited employer
If you have a long-term or permanent job offer from an Immigration New Zealand accredited employer you can apply for the accredited employer visa.

You can find more information on visas on Immigration NZ's website.

Residence visas

Mount Vic Houses Copy

Residence from work visa
Once you’ve been in New Zealand for a fixed period of time on a work to residence visa you may be eligible to upgrade your visa to residence status under the Residence from Work Category. Once granted, you can continue live and work in New Zealand permanently and come and go from New Zealand without travel conditions.

Skilled migrant visa
If you have specific skills, qualifications or experience that are in demand in New Zealand, you may be able to apply for a resident visa under the skilled migrant category. This is a points system based on factors such as work experience and qualifications, age, and whether you have an offer of skilled employment. 

Partner and children visas
There are also a number of visas available for partners and children.

Other visas

PWT June2010 612 resize

Working holiday visa
New Zealand has working holiday scheme agreements with many countries. This option is a short term visa for young people looking to explore and work in New Zealand.  

Working holiday visas are usually restricted to people aged 18-30 although some countries have an age limit up to 35 years. 

There are a number of other New Zealand visas available for specific situations. Visit Immigration New Zealand's website for the full list of visa options.

  • Close
  • Show nearby