The Holy Trinity Church is a good example of a rural mid-to late-19th-century New Zealand church. Built in 1870, it is a small, rural church in Ohariu Valley in Johnsonville, Wellington. It has a small graveyard associated with it.
  • Location

    638 Ohariu Valley Road, Ohariu, Wellington

  • Location ID

    69

Built in 1870, Holy Trinity Church is a small, rural church in Ohariu Valley in Johnsonville, Wellington. It has a small graveyard associated with it.

It is the oldest Anglican Church still used for services in the region.

The weatherboard building has a simple symmetrical design with Gothic elements. These include the lancet windows and exposed timber roof trusses in the nave, or central part of the church.

Backed by rolling green hills, the church site is a narrow section facing the road.

Many local families, even if they don’t regularly attend the church, have long-term and ongoing ties and have contributed to its care and maintenance over the years.

Location details

Jurisdiction Wellington City Council
Permits required Private location, contact Screen Wellington
Location descriptors Churches, places of worship, historic, public buildings, rural buildings, wooden, halls, event spaces, rural communities, graveyards, cemetery.