NZ's biggest culinary festival: Visa Wellington on a Plate
New Zealand’s biggest culinary festival celebrates the best talent and produce that the wildly famous Wellington region has to offer, all curated into one tasty programme
1 – 31 Aug 2020
Chef Collaboration Series by Singapore Airlines
The Chef Collaboration Series presented by Singapore Airlines offers an exciting line up of international and New Zealand-based chefs at the top of their game, teaming up with some of Wellington's best eateries and chefs. These exclusive culinary moments are not available anywhere else. Some highlights from the 2019 line up included:
- Nancy Silverton, one of America's most influential chefs, teamed up with Hannahs Laneway restaurant Shepherd for a three-night collaboration.
- London-based chef and ex-Wellingtonian Margot Henderson who teamed up with local eatery Loretta for a special lunch collaboration.
- Award-winning Seattle chef Edouardo Jordan who teamed up with Rex Morgan of Wellington's Boulcott Street Bistro for a meal celebrating the cultural heritage of each chef.
- Top Chef and MasterChef Asia guest judge May Chow teamed up with local eatery Mr Go's for a multi-course menu of Hong Kong-inspired food.
- A special Hiakai Hāngī by Monique Fiso joined by acclaimed chefs from around the world including Nyesha Arrington, Ash Heeger (who starred alongside Fiso on the Netflix series The Final Table) and Analiese Gregory.
Our favourite month of the year is fast approaching. And no, we’re not talking about December. Who needs Christmas Day for feasting when you can indulge for four weeks? ... this gastronomic festival will provide you with 31 days of indulgence.
2019 Visa Wellington On a Plate winners
During August, thousands of Burger Wellingtons, Festival Dishes and Cocktail Wellingtons were devoured, savoured, sipped and then rated in an early anticipated competition to find the overall winner of each category. Here's who won in 2019.
Best Dine Wellington Festival Dish
Newcomer Grace Patisserie with "The Egg", coming Whittaker’s white chocolate coconut mousse with Zany Zeus lemon creme fraiche, hazelnut dacquoise and kataifi.
Best Garage Project presents Burger Wellington
Martinborough's Cafe Medici with "Prawn Underbelly" which was matched with Garage Project Hapi Daze - Pacific Pale Ale.
Best Cocktail Wellington
Wellington institution Pravda with "Schmoke and a Pancake" - a mānuka-smoked maple and walnut Old Fashioned cocktail accompanied by 'Old Zealand' Dutch pancakes served with maple syrup and candied walnuts.